Much can be said about studying the Bible and many excellent books have been written to guide and help with this topic. We hope this summary will help.
God desires to speak to you.
He speaks in many ways but He most often speaks through His Word, the Bible. If you are serious about hearing from God you must make a plan to hear from Him. You will need a quiet place, a Bible, a journal, a pen, and a Bible reading plan. If you do not have a Bible we would be pleased to provide one for you. A weekly Bible reading plan is to be found on the home page of this site.
The following points mark out a way that will help you read the Bible to hear from God.
1. Gather a Bible, a journal, a pen, and find a quiet place. Turn off your electronic devices. They can interrupt our thoughts and during this time we want to direct our thoughts toward God. God is best heard when we quiet ourselves to hear from Him. God reminds us in the Bible to “Be still and know that I am God.”
2. Begin asking God to speak to you through the reading of His Word. Jesus says, “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.”
3. Read the passage slowly and with the expectation that God will speak. The Bible encourages us to “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.”
4. Read it a second time taking note of phrases, words, or verses that grab your attention.
5. If you read the scripture and draw a blank then examine the passage with these questions in mind. “Is there a command to obey, a promise to trust, a sin to avoid, an example to follow, a truth to embrace?” Now consider how you will put into practice what God has shown you.
6. Reflect on those parts and record your thoughts and observations in your journal. The act of writing will help you process and organize your thinking about what God is saying to you.
7. Thank God for what He has shared with you.
8. It is of crucial importance to follow up on what God has said to you Those who obey God’s word to them experience God in their lives. Jesus said, “Anyone who loves Me will obey My teaching. My Father will love them. And we will come to them and make our home with them.”
9. Finally, if at first you seem not to hear from God, don’t give up. God’s promise is that those who earnestly desire to hear from Him, to find Him, will. God’s promise is “. . . those who diligently seek me will find Me . . .” and “You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.”
If we can be of any further help please contact us here.